Happy Spring to you all! I have embraced these changing winds and gathered as many fresh, young, green vegetables as our cozy kitchen can hold. While you are at the market stock up on antioxidant rich spinach and vitamin packed spring onions. Both pair beautifully in these seasonal cakes and with the addition of almond flour and cultured creme fraiche you have yourself a light yet satisfying meal, perfect for an early supper out in the garden.
I am so inspired by this season and can not wait to share more ideas of how to bring Spring's little green gems to your table and loved ones. Now, off to the market you go...
- 1 1/4 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 2 1/2 TBS ground cumin
- 1/2 cup finely ground parmesan
- 2lb. fresh spinach
- 3/4 cup spring onions, chopped
- 1 cup full fat organic yogurt
- 3 eggs
- 2 TBS ghee or butter
- creme fraiche for garnish
- Wash the spinach and place in a large pot over medium heat. Cook until wilted, then drain in a colander. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine the almond flour, salt, baking soda and cumin. In a separate bowl mix together the parmesan, yogurt, eggs and chopped onion. Then add to the bowl of dry ingredients.
- Place spinach into a kitchen towel and squeeze out as much water as you can. Then chop the spinach and add it to the batter.
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat, add the ghee/butter. Drop a spoonful of batter into the pan and cook for 2-3 minutes then flip to cook the other side (your pan should hold 4 small cakes). Repeat until all the batter has been used.
- Allow cakes to cool slightly then top with a dollop of creme fraiche.
Makes about 12 small cakes.